Thursday, October 21, 2010

I hate that I don't feel the same way I did at the Obama Inauguration



Winter Wonderment

Although I hadn’t celebrated Christmas in over 25 years, Tuesday January 20, 2009 felt romantically similar. Restlessness dominated the Eve. Thoughts and visions hold hostage my mind with no ability to overthrow them. Even if I had the strength to re-take control, I wouldn’t. This feels too damn good. Reality peeks in around midnight and tells me “sleep is necessary. You have a long day ahead of you.”

Four hours later my soul is tapped and I awake feeling refreshed as if I had slept a fortnight. Morning was filled with great anticipation, not knowing what I would experience but looking forward to every second of it. I was coaching all of my senses to be on high alert. I turned my mind on slow motion. I wanted to savor every moment of this day.

Spring smells fresh, I wish. I basked in the beauty of a waterfall, and feel refreshed. I’ve done this millions of times, but this felt new. I opened my mouth and felt renewed. I wrap myself. I set aside my nap-sack. My mind thinks ahead to tomorrow. No. I must re-set. I completed the morning ritual, and then….

On my way down to the tree I reminisced, and recalled when I was introduced to this day. It was the summer of 2004. I mostly remember the voice; it was strong, authoritative, and full of hope. The voice spoke to my best self, and for the 1st time I thought this present was within our reach. The courtship quietly started two years later. It felt premature, but we got through the incubation, and were made stronger.

The hill got rough, and right sometimes felt wrong, but we met in Philadelphia and talked about it. At this moment I decided to check in with you everyday. I couldn’t help but notice that Tuesdays were beginning to stand out. I became devoted. In fall, on the 4th you were promised.

At present, engaged, and determined, I drove down MLK to new heights. In reverse, I took the underground- railroad, I parked, and I marched.

A sea of red; change coming; leaving slavery; past chasing; stand still; see salvation; God shows; to day.

Bitter cold, but warm inside. I part the people, and settle in a land promised. I wait. I’m by myself, but not alone.

From the winter, I hear a familiar voice from summers past. It’s the same and yet so very different. Ambition yielded to responsibility. Personal strength yielded to the collective strength. Ideology yielded to pragmatism. And toward the end of the word, strength was quoted. The seed of a nation was hidden in the winter. Those that were discontent had no excuse. Labor would deliver us.

The altitude had changed forever. Brown had never been this high. Today felt religious. I’ve always been proud to be me, but today my flesh rejoiced. The gift. The promise. The new. The present, were all wrapped up in this glorious day. Inauguration.


Signed,

DH, Changed forever.

No comments:

Post a Comment