Wednesday, August 31, 2011

I hate Kindles and Nooks




Last year I didn’t buy a book for six months. This was odd because I’m an avid reader who actually loves books. I supplied my reading fix by using the library, and going to bookstores, and “steal-reading”. I didn’t purchase a book because I hadn’t made a decision yet. I had actually given myself a month to decide between 20th century books or 21st century e-books. Would I advance with technology and purchase a Kindle or remain that crabby old man that wouldn’t give in. I was 38 years old at the time, and felt that this decision was coming to a head. These new-fangled contraptions were getting sleeker, smarter, better, and cheaper, so I gave myself 30 days to decide.

I know this sounds crazy but I had a real decision to make here. You see I love books. Not just reading them, but I actually love the construct of books. I’m a very tactile person. I love the smell, feel, binder, paper, and ink of books. One of my earliest memories is me looking at my hands in wonderment because they had turned grey, and asking my mom what was wrong with them. She finally figured out that it was ink from the Washington Star newspaper and all the books I had read that day.

Look, I’m the dude that back in sixth grade, when I was dissatisfied with the book inventory at my elementary school asked my teacher if I could bring 100 of my favorite books to school, and open my own library for my classmates.

Fast forward. I’m 38. In my mind the rationale was this: Books are not like VCR tapes. They won’t vanish overnight. I only have another 30 or so years left. I think books will be around til I’m gone. So why change up now?

My thinking was hard to juxtapose because I own a computer, a blackberry, a laptop, a HDTV, a refrigerator, a stove, and a lamp. I obviously have no problem staying current. Was there more to this decision than I initially thought?

Needless to say the decision required more than a month. My pontification became paralyzing. The decision was huge, but why couldn’t I make it?

The stakes were high because, I would not buy another book until I decided. I didn’t want to create two separate reading streams going forward. The funny part about it was I had already given up newspapers, and was reading news online, so what was so precious about books.

One day I was reading the WSJ online and there was an article about Borders filing bankruptcy, and it hit me. Books had a social component to them. Many of the women I’ve dated, I met at bookstores. Where is the best place for a man of above average intelligence and very average looks to meet a smart woman? Bookstore!!! The slow death of books became layerd to me. The bookstore is like a club for a guy like me. First Books-a-Million, then Borders, and soon Barnes and Noble will all be part of my glorious overachieving past.

I can’t begin to tell you how many conversations I’ve started with “Hey I’ve read that, you’re going to love it.” It’s the perfect pick up line because it’s not a line at all. It’s a beautiful majestic Trojan horse. With these new machines you can’t see what a person is reading. I’m too old to be inventing new Trojan horses.

Eventually, after six months, I finally caved. The format makes too much sense in the world we live in. I purchased a Nook. It’s great, but doesn’t help me with the ladies. So although I’m technologically happy, parts of me are traditionally sad. Oh well! I guess I'll just have to see what's happening at Panera Bread, and Starbucks!