Monday, August 29, 2011

I hate that the word "Partner" is synonymous with gay people




This entry is basically do to my frustration to the fact that there is no appropriate word/title for a man approaching 40 to call the woman he’s in a monogamous relationship with.

I do realize that most people settle on “girlfriend” and move on, but I have a problem with that word. If I’m dating someone over 25 I don’t consider her a girl anymore. “Girlfriend” removes the gravity and seriousness for the relationship.

Some use the word “friend” but that is loose and vague. You introduce a woman as “friend”, and you’re just opening the door for problems, and closing the door on sex that night.

Over the last 10 years or so “boo” has been used. I basically consider this word racial, sophomoric, and ridiculous. Plus it’s the abbreviation for booty call. Didn’t know that did you? I can’t even use the word “boo” without throwing up a little bit.

The term “old lady” is disrespectful, and could be inaccurate. If I’m dating a 23 year old she doesn’t want to be called that, and if I’m dating a 50 year old she definitely doesn’t want to be called that. Also see “friend” for sexual repercussions.

“Shorty” is hood.
“Baby Mama” is disgusting.
“Honey Bunny” makes me think of “Pulp Fiction” and robbing a diner.

“Lover” is very adult and very European, but I don’t think America is ready for it. Plus when you introduce a woman to someone I don’t think she automatically wants everyone to know that you are putting your “P” in her “V” on a regular basis.

“Significant Other” is gay, which leads me to my problem. Last week I’m ending my vacation. I’m at Miami Airport half sleep at the gate, waiting for my Atlanta flight to start boarding. I overhear two gay couples chatting it up, and the conversation is replete with the word “partner”.

And it hits me. “Partner” should be our word. “Partner” very eloquently describes an adult committed relationship between a man and a woman who are partnering in the middle stage of their life. Why do the gays get to have “significant other” which they seem to not want anymore, and get to own “partner” when that is the perfect word for straight people? Is there any way we can get this word back?

I need this word. I may not ever get married. I can’t go on for the next 20-30 years avoiding a word that is so obviously perfect for me. What I’ve resorted to over the last decade is just introducing the woman by her first name and no title, but that makes the woman a little uneasy sometimes.

Now that I think of it, the reason why bachelors in their midlife submit to marriage is because they get tired or being mocked. They have gray hair, gray pubes, bald spots, creaky knees, bad backs, and don’t feel young enough to continue to use the term “girlfriend” anymore. They get tired of feeling icky so they surrender, go traditional, and marry the woman because “wife” sounds more grown up and mature. If only the gays would give us back “partner” or single women would let us call them “wife”.